Monday, July 04, 2016

Externalise, materialise, confront: on the making of sociolegal worry beads Part 1




Preview: my sociolegal worry externalised, materialised, confronted.

Norman (2005) Emotional design: why we love (or hate) everyday things got me thinking about worries as a focal point for sociolegal research, in particular in my current site of interest: Cyprus.

This image, one of a poignant series in Lasn/Adbusters (2012) Meme wars: the creative destruction of neoclassical economics, helped me to think about linking worry and wonder  in the past-present-future

Dunne and Raby (2013) Speculative everything: design, fiction and social dreaming got me thinking about making material my research into worry and wonder in the past-present-future regarding the possible Cyprus reunification. For example: using soil to think through, analytically and emotionally, some of the issues relating to property in any future settlement.


Arnovitz (2013) My worry beads focused my attention on worry beads: a secular method of self-calming indigenous to Cyprus.

But while I was waiting to interview anthropologist Yiannis Papadakis, author of Echoes from the dead zone, it struck me that I should begin with the worries with which I most familiar: those of a sociolegal researcher.
So I sketched a draft version before Yiannis arrived, and discussed it with him during the interview. 

My perpetual  'outsider' worry was reinforced by the presence of worry beads among the tourist paraphernalia of Larnaca airport. Touché.
My application for funds to cover Cyprus interview transcription costs triggered my first effort to materials the idea of sociolegal worry beads.


Cut up one application form

Soak in boiling water

Pummel until satisfied

Add small amount of flour (not sure really required) and some PVA glue 
Spread vaseline or similar on moulds

Shape. Impale

Dry
 

Seal with PVA glue
 Label

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home